Pen Name: None
Born: 1927 Chicago, Illinois
Contact Information: Morrow Publishing 1350 Avenue of the Americas New York, New York 10119 (212)261-6689
Lerner lived in Chicago her entire life.
Biographical and Professional Information
Carol Lerner is an American author and illustrator.
Lerner's interest in the study of nature began when she noticed the intense interest her children had in the plants and animals around them. She began her study with courses in botany and ornithology at the Morton Arboretum - just outside Chicago in Lisle, Illinois and eventually studied botanical drawing for three years. Her first book illustrations were for other authors, but she quickly moved to writing her own books.
- On the Forest Edge, Morrow, 1978
- Tree Flowers
- Seasons of the Tallgrass Prairie, Morrow, 1980
- A Biblical Garden, Morrow, 1982
- Pitcher Plants, Morrow, 1983
- A Forest Year, Morrow, 1987
- Moonseed and Mistletoe, Morrow, 1988
- Plant Families, Morrow, 1989
- Dumbcane and Daffodils, Morrow, 1990
- A Desert Year, Morrow, 1991
- Cactus, Morrow, 1992
- Plants That Make You Sniffle and Sneeze, Morrow, 1993
- Backyard Birds of Winter, Morrow, 1994
- Backyard Birds of Summer, Morrow, 1996
- My Backyard Garden, Morrow, 1998
- My Indoor Garden, Morrow, 1999
- On the Wing: American Birds in Migration, Harpercollins, 2001
- Butterflies in the Garden, Morrow, 2002
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
On the forest edge
Release Date: 1978
Seasons of the Tallgrass Prairie
Release Date: 1980-10
A Biblical Garden
Release Date: 1982-04
A Forest Year
Release Date: 1987-03
Moonseed and Mistletoe: A Book of Poisonous Wild Plants
Release Date: 1988-04
A Desert Year
Release Date: 1991-08
Release Date: 1996
Plants That Make You Sniffle and Sneeze
Release Date: 1993-08
Backyard Birds of Summer: The Perfect Introduction to Birding
Release Date: 1996-03
My Backyard Garden
Release Date: 1998-03
My Indoor Garden
Release Date: 1999-04
On the Wing: American Birds in Migration
Release Date: 2001-06-05
Carl Sandburg Award, and Children`s Reading Round Table Annual Award, 1994.
On the Forest Edge.was given an award for Special Artistic Merit by the Friends of American Writers.
Seasons of the Tallgrass Prairie, A Biblical Garden, and Pitcher Plants, were named ALA Notable Books, as was Tree Flowers, which she illustrated.
Plant Families was named a New York Academy of Sciences Honor Book .
Cactus, Dumb Cane and Daffodils, A Forest Year and Moonseed and Mistletoe, all are NSTA/CBC Outstanding Science Trade Books for Children.
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (No)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.