Pen Name: None
Born: 1939 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Lesser lived in Quincy, Illinois.
Biographical and Professional Information
Lesser, is an author of nonfiction natural science, poet, essayist, university educator, explorer, fiber artist and photographer.
As an author Lesser has published eight natural science books for children. Her research has taken her from the Arctic to the Antarctic, in the desert and wetlands.
Lesser is also an artist and designer. She has been commissioned to create liturgical and secular fiber art for churches, schools, office buildings and hospitals in the United States and South America. She also creates ceramic sculptures.
Another love of Lesser's is photography. Her work includes color-saturated nature and abstracts; landscapes, portraits, nautical scenes, and fine art travel photographs.
A teacher of all ages, Lesser helps others to write clearly and speak confidently. Her goal is to liberate the creative, curious, unique genius within. Lesser currently resides in St. Louis, Missouri.
- The Goodnight Circle, Harcourt, 1984
- The Knees Knock Again, Oakwood Press, 1991
- Flamingo Knees, Oakwood Press, 1991
- Dig Hole, Soft Mole, Harcourt, 1996
- Great Crystal Bear, Harcourt, 1996
- Storm on the Desert, Harcourt, 1997
- Spots: Counting Creatures from Sky to Sea, Harcourt, 1999
- What a Wonderful Day to Be a Cow, Random House, 1999
- Explorer’s Journal, CL Creative Press, 2001
- The Doctor Bones Discoverer’s Journal, Dr. Bones Education, 2002
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The Goodnight Circle
Release Date: 1991-02-21
Release Date: 1991-02
Great Crystal Bear
Release Date: 1996-04-01
Storm on the Desert
Release Date: 1997-02-01
Literacy Merit Award from the Friends of American Writers in Chicago and one of the 50 Best Science Books for Children from the National Council of Teachers of Science and the Children’s Book Council for The Goodnight Circle
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.