Eugene B. Redmond
Pen Name: None
Born: December 1, 1937 in East St. Louis, Illinois
Redmond was born in East St. Louis, Illinois, and is a Professor Emeritus at Southern Illinois University and currently resides in Edwardsville.
Biographical and Professional Information
Eugene Redmond is an award-winning African American poet, editor, and teacher who began his career in journalism. He has held positions as poet-in-residence at Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville, Oberlin College, California State University, and other institutions throughout North America.
Eugene is an Emeritus Professor of English at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and the editor of Drumvoices Revue, He is an active voice in the local writing community as well as in national and international circles. As a founder of the Eugene B. Redmond Writers Club in East St. Louis, he continues to be instrumental in the lives of novice and experienced writers across the globe.
- A Tale of Two-Toms, 1968
- A Tale Of Time & Toilet Tissue, Assn. of Black Collegians, 1969
- Sentry of The Four Golden Pillars, Assn. of Black Collegians, 1970
- Drumvoices: The Mission of Afro-American Poetry, Doubleday, 1976
- The Eye In the Ceiling, Writers and Readers Press, 1992
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
A Tale of Two- Toms
Release Date: 1968
A Tale of Time & Toilet Tissue
Release Date: 1969
Drumvoices: The Mission of Afro-American Poetry: A Critical History
Release Date: 1976
The Eye in the Ceiling: Poems
Release Date: 1992-03-01
The Eye in the Ceiling
- American Book Award, 1993
- Poet Laureate of East St. Louis
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Before Columbus Foundation Thirty-Third Annual AMERICAN BOOK AWARDS
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Pan-African Movement USA
- Pushcart Prize: Best of Small Presses
- Illinois Author of the Year, Illinois Association of Teachers of English, 1989
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: Yes, contact author.
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.