H. Arnold Barton
Pen Names: Hildor Barton, Hildor Arnold Barton
Born: 1929 in Los Angeles, California
Barton works at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale.
Biographical and Professional Information
H. Arnold Barton received his B.A. degree at Pomona College and his doctorate at Princeton University. Barton taught history at the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada (1960 to 1963) and at the University of California, Santa Barbara (1963 to 1970). He taught at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois, where he became professor in 1975 and from where he retired in 1996 as professor emeritus of history.
He is the author of Northern Arcadia: Foreign Travelers in Scandinavia, 1765–1815; A Folk Divided: Homeland Swedes and Swedish Americans, 1840–1940; and The Search for Ancestors: A Swedish-American Family Saga, a story about his own descent from Swedish emigrants. Barton also edited Letters from the Promised Land, an anthology from 1979 with Swedish emigrants' letters.
Barton served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Swedish-American Historic Society and is editor emeritus of the Swedish-American Historical Quarterly.
He holds an honorary doctorate from Uppsala University and was named Swedish American of the Year in 1988 by the Royal Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Vasa Order of America. In 2000, His Majesty Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden bestowed on Barton the insignia of Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star.
- Count Hans Axel Von Fersen: Aristocrat in An Age of Revolution, Twayne Publishers, 1976
- The Search for Ancestors: A Swedish-American Family Saga, Southern Illinois University, 1979
- Clipper Ship and Covered Wagon: Essays from the Swedish Pioneer Historical Quarterly, Arno Press, 1979
- A Folk Divided: Homeland Swedes and Swedish Americans, 1840-1940, Southern Illinois University Press, 1994
- Scandinavia in the Revolutionary Era, 1760-1815, University of Minnesota Press, 1986
- Northern Arcadia: Foreign Travelers in Scandinavia, 1765 - 1815, Southern Illinois University Press, 1999
- Sweden and Visions of Norway: Politics and Culture 1814-1905, Southern Illinois University Press, 2002
- Essays on Scandinavian History, Southern Illinois University Press, 2008
Titles at Your Library
Count Hans Axel Von Fersen: Aristocrat in An Age of Revolution (The Library of Scandinavian Studies)
Release Date: 1976-02
A Folk Divided: Homeland Swedes and Swedish Americans, 1840-1940
Release Date: 1994-12-02
Northern Arcadia: Foreign Travelers in Scandinavia, 1765 - 1815
Release Date: 1999-02-02
Sweden and Visions of Norway: Politics and Culture 1814-1905
Release Date: 2002-12-16
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.