Pen Name: None
Genres: Poetry, Essay, Biography
Born: 1933 in Carbondale, Illinois
Photo Credit: Ruth Ganchiff
Ballowe was born in Carbondale, Illinois and currently resides in Ottawa, Illinois. He is a Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois.
Biographical and Professional Information
Ballowe is a poet and biographer. He is the winner of two Arts Council awards for poetry and an Arts Council award for creative non-fiction. Along with the books listed in the "Titles for Purchase and at Your Library" section below, he has also edited:
- George Santayana's America: Essays in Literature and Culture, 1967; 2nd ed., 1969
- Anglo-Welsh Poetry, North Dakota Quarterly 1989 - edited with Raymond Garlick and Tony Curtis
- Christmas in Illinois, University of Illinois Press, 2010.
His work is also represented in anthologies, including:
- A Sampler: New Poems and Some Poetry Talk, Dunes House, 1976.
- Prairie Voices, Lucien Stryk, editor,Spoon River Poetry Press, 1980.
- Beowulf to Beatles and Beyond, David Pichaske, editor,Macmillan, 1981.
- Illinois Voices, Kevin Stein and G.E. Murry, editors, University of Illinois, 2001
Ballowe has also contributed articles, poetry, and short stories to numerous periodicals, including: Encounter, American Quarterly, American Literature, Southern Review, and Salmagundi. He is also the author of A Great Outdoor Museum: The Story of The Morton Arboretum, 2003. This is a monograph published by and available through The Morton Arboretum. It is the only history of that institution.
- The Coal Miners, Spoon River Poetry Press, 1979
- A Man of Salt and Trees: The Life of Joy Morton, Northern Illinois University Press, 2009
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
A Man of Salt and Trees: The Life of Joy Morton
Release Date: 2009-04-15
- 2 poetry and 1 essay award from the Illinois Arts Council
- Honorable Mention, biography, The Society of Midland Authors
- Certificate of Merit, biography, Illinois Historical Society
- Delta Award, Friends of Morris Library, Southern Illinois University
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Contact for appearances: Michael Roux firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author can be contacted at: email@example.com.
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.