James Dunlap Nowlan
Pen Name: James D. Nowlan
Born: 1941 in Kewanee, lllinois
Nowlan was born in Kewanee, Illinois and now resides in Toulon, Illinois. He received his B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees in political science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Biographical and Professional Information
Nowlan has been an Illinois legislator, state agency director, statewide candidate and campaign manager for US senatorial and presidential candidtaes.
He was elected to the Illinois House of Representatives in 1968 at age twenty-six. Four years later he was the Republican candidate for lieutenant governor, running mate of Governor Richard B. Ogilvie. In 1978, he managed the successful re-election campaign of US Senator Charles H. Percy and the follwing year organized the national presidential campaign of US representative John B. Anderson. During the Governorship of James R. Thompson, Nowlan served in eight different capacities, including trouble-shooting state agency director (three times), special assiatnat for education, and executive director of a speical transition team that bridged the Governor's third and fourth terms.
Nowlan received his PhD in political science from the University of Illinois at Urbana. A former community newspaper owner and publisher, Nowlan served as president of the Taxpayers' Federation of Illinois from 1991 - 1994. He is a senior fellow at the University of Illinois Institute of Government and Public Affairs and an adjunct professor of public policy at Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois.
- The Politics of Higher Education, Lawmakers and the Academy in Illinois, University of Illinois Press, 1976
- Inside State Government in Illinois, A Primer for Illinois Managers, University of Illinois Press, 1982
- A New Game Plan for Illinois, Neltnor Press, 1989
- Illinois Politics and Government, The Expanding Metropolitan Frontier, University of Nebraska Press, 1996 - written with Samuel K. Gove
- The Itinerant, A Heartland Story, Conversation Press, Inc., 2000
- Glory, Darkness, Light, The Union League Club of Chicago, A History, Northwestern University Press, 2004
- The Editor's Wife, AuthorHouse, 2005
- Illinois Politics: A Citizen's Guide, University of Illinois Press, 2010 - written with Samuel K. Gove and Richard J. Winkel Jr.
- Fixing Illinois: Politics and Policy in the Prairie State, University of Illinois Press, 2014 - written with J. Thomas Johnson
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The Politics Of Higher Education : Lawmakers And The Academy In Illinois
Release Date: 1977
The Itinerant: A Heartland Story
Release Date: 2000-05-03
Glory, Darkness, Light: A History of the Union League Club of Chicago
Release Date: 2004-02-01
The Editor's Wife
Release Date: 2005-11-18
Illinois Politics: A Citizen's Guide
Release Date: 2010-01-15
Fixing Illinois: Politics and Policy in the Prairie State
Release Date: 2014-05-01
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.