Nancy Ross Ryan
Pen Name: Nancy DeRoin
Born: 1934 in Washington, D.C.
Died: February 22, 2016
Nancy Ross Ryan was the founder of Fresh Food Writing, based in Chicago, Illinois and specialized in food writing, consulting, recipe testing and development for a variety of clients. She co-authored two books about the historic Berghoff restaurant located in Chicago.
Biographical and Professional Information
Nancy Ross Ryan was a writer with a flair for synthesis and a gift for revitalizing familiar subjects. Her broad knowledge of food and wine, food history and health and nutrition was acquired during a long career in food writing. She began writing for national newspapers and magazines. Before her marriage, she wrote under her maiden name, Nancy DeRoin. Later in her career, she edited and wrote cookbooks.
Written under the name, Nancy DeRoin:
- Jataka Tales - Fables from the Buddha, Houghton Mifflin, 1975
Written under the name of Nancy Ross Ryan:
- The Louisiana New Garde , Great Chefs Publishing, 1995
- The Berghoff Family Cookbook: From Our Table to Yours, Celebrating a Century of EntertainingAndrews McMeel Publishing , 2007 - written with Carlyn and Jan Berghoff
- The Berghoff Café Cookbook: Berghoff Family Recipes for Simple, Satisfying Food , Andrews McMeel Publishing , 2009 - written with Carlyn Berghoff
- 250 True Italian Pasta Dishes: Easy and Authentic Recipes , Robert Rose, 2009 - written with John Coletta
- Cooking for Your Gluten-Free Teen: Everyday Foods the Whole Family Will Love, Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2013 - written with Carlyn Berghoff, Sarah Berghoff McClure and Dr. Suzanne P. Nelson
Titles at Your Library
The Louisiana New Garde: From the Television Series, Great Chefs, the New Garde
Release Date: 1994-07
The Berghoff Café Cookbook: Berghoff Family Recipes for Simple, Satisfying Food
Release Date: 2009-08-18
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.