Pen Name: None
Born: 1935 in Chicago, Illinois
Photo Credit: Jude Genereaux
Blei was born in an ethnic (primarily Czechoslovakian) neighborhood of western Chicago, Illinois known as Little Village, in the 26th & Pulaski area. An only child, Blei and his parents moved to the near-western Chicago suburb of Cicero when he was in grade school.
Biographical and Professional Information
Norbert began his career teaching high school English and subsequently worked at City News Bureau as a reporter. Blei left Chicago and moved to Door County in 1969, (250 miles north of Chicago) where he has lived and worked as a writer for over 40 years.For four decades, he has worked in a converted chicken coop in Ellison Bay, Wisconsin.
He is also the editor/publisher of a small literay press (devoted to helping writers get their first books in print--and also supporting 'veteran' little magazine, small press writers who may have drifted into obscurity, The name of his press is CROSS+ROADS PRESS, founded in 1997.
- The Hour of the Sunshine Now, Short Stories, Story Press, 1978
- The Second Novel, Becoming a Writer, December Press
- Door Way, Ellis Press, 1981
- Adventures in an American`s Literature, Ellis Press, 1982
- Door Steps,Ellis Press, 1983
- Door to Door, Ellis Press, 1985
- The Ghost of Sandburg's Phizzog, Ellis Press, 1986
- Neighborhood, Ellis Press, 1987
- Meditations on a Small Lake, Ellis Press, 1987
- Chronicles of a Rural Journalist in America, Door Reminder Press, 1990
- Chi-Town, Ellis Press, 1990
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The Ghost of Sandburg's Phizzog
Release Date: 1986-06
Chronicles of a Rural Journalist in America
Release Date: 1990-07
Release Date: 2003-03-12
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.