Pen Name: None
Born: in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Bayless moved to Chicago in 1987 and opened Frontera Grill. It remains one of Chicago's hottest dining spots.
Biographical and Professional Information
Rick is an award-winning chef-restaurateur, cookbook author, television personality, restaurant consultant and teaches authentic Mexican cooking throughout the United States (he is a visiting staff member at the Culinary Institute of America).
In 1987, Rick moved to Chicago, opened Frontera Grill, which specializes in contemporary regional Mexican cooking. Still today it remains one of Chicago's hottest dining spots. In 1989, Rick opened Topolobampo which is adjacent to Frontera Grill. Tobolobampo is one of America's only fine-dining Mexican restaurants. Frontera Grill and Topolobampo have received glowing distinctions from such publications as Gourmet, Food & Wine, Bon Appétit, Atlantic Monthly, Condé Nast Traveler, Zagat's, The Wine Spectator, USA Today, Chicago Magazine and The Chicago Tribune. Topolobampo has been nominated twice by the James Beard Foundation as one of the most outstanding restaurants in our country.
Food & Wine Magazine selected Rick as "Best New Chef of The Year," in 1988 and in 1991, he won a James Beard Award for "Best American Chef: Midwest." In 1995, he won another James Beard Award for "National Chef of the Year" as well as an award for "Chef of the Year" from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP). In 1998, the Beard Foundation honored Rick as "Humanitarian of the Year." In 2002, Bon Appétit honored him with the “Cooking Teacher of the Year Award”.
Bayless is also the founder of the Frontera Farmer Foundation, an organization that supports small local farmers and has been active in Share Our Strength, the nation's largest hunger advocacy organization.
- Authentic Mexican, Simon & Schuster, 1987 - written with Deann Groen Bayless
- Mexican Kitchen: Capturing the Vibrant Flavors of a World-class Cuisine, Simon & Schuster, 1996 - written with Deann Groen Bayless and JeanMarie Brownson
- Salsas That Cook: Using Classic Salsas to Enliven our Favorite Dishes, Simon & Schuster, 1998 - written with JeanMarie Brownson and Deann Groen Bayless
- Mexico: One Plate at a Time, Simon & Schuster, 2000- written with JeanMarie Brownson and Deann Groen Bayless
- Rick and Lanie's Excellent Kitchen Adventures: Recipes and Stories, 2004 - written with Lanie Bayless
- Mexican Everyday: Recipes Featured on Season 4 of the PBS-TV series "Mexico One Plate at a Time2005 - written with Christopher Hirsheimer and Deann Groen Bayless
- Fiesta at Rick's: Fabulous Food for Great Times with Friends, Norton, 2010 - written with Deann Groen Bayless
- Frontera: Margaritas, Guacamoles and Snacks, Norton, 2012 - written with Deann Groen Bayless
- More Mexican Everyday: Simple, Seasonal, Celebratory, Norton, 2015 - written with Deann Groen Bayless and David Tamarkin
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
Mexican Kitchen: Capturing the Vibrant Flavors of a World-class Cuisine
- Best Cookbook of the Year, International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP)
- National Julia Child Award
Mexico—One Plate at a Time
- James Beard Foundation's International Cookbook Award, 2001
Rick and Lanie’s Excellent Kitchen Adventures
- Nominated, James Beard Award, 2005
- Nominated, James Beard Award, 2006
Salsas That Cook
- ILLINOIS READS Book Selection, Illinois Reading Council, 2014
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.