Pen Name: R.G. Bluemer
Born: 1942 in Chicago, Illinois
Ron Bluemer was born in Chicago and lives in Granville, Illinois. He attended the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, Illinois and Illinois State University in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois.
Biographical and Professional Information
Ronald Bluemer is an Illinois historian who has written books about gambling places, prohibition and coal mines in the Illinois Valley. He has also written about historical things and events outside the Illinois Valley.
Bluemer grew up on the south side of Chicago. This Bluemer joined the Air Force after attending the University of Illinois after one year. After two-and one-half years in the service, he studied at Illinois State University in Bloomington-Normal. He then worked as a history and sociology teacher at Putnam County High School in Granville, Illinois. He also developed and taught courses in archaeology and earth science. He taught part time at Illinois Valley Community College as an American History teacher.
After retiring from Putnam County High School, he continued to teach at Illinois Valley Community College and started writing for the local newspaper and books about the historic Illinois Valley people, places and events.
- Fate of the Phoenix, Grand Village Press, 1999
- Black Diamond Mines: A History of the Early Coal Mines of the Illinois River Valley, Grand Village Press, 2000
- Rails Across the Heartland, Grand Village Press, 2002
- Speakeasy: Prohibition in the Illinois Valley, Grand Village Press, 2003
- Casino, Grand Village Press, 2004
- Home Front: WWII in the Illinois Valley, Grand Village Press, 2005
- Here Comes the Boat, Grand Village Press, 2005
- Rails Across the Heartland (2nd Edition), Grand Village Press, 2006
- Fire Below! The Cherry Mine Disaster of 1909,Grand Village Press, 2007
- Buddy, Can You Spare a Dime? - The Great Depression in the Illinois Valley, Grand Village Press, 2008
- Back to the 50's: Impact on the Illinois Valley, Grand Village Press, 2010
- Rally Round the Flag: The Imact of the Civil War on the Illinois Valley, Grand Village Press, 2011
- Connecting Links, Grand Village Press, 2013
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The Fate of the Phoenix
Release Date: 1999
Black diamond mines: A history of the early coal mines of the Illinois River Valley
Release Date: 2001
Casino: Glitz, Glamour, and Gambling in the Illinois Valley
Home Front: WWII in the Illinois Valley
Release Date: 2005
Here Comes the Boat! A History of Canal Boats and Steamboats in the Illinois River Valley
Release Date: 2005-01-01
Rails Across The Heartland
Release Date: 2002
Fire Below! The Cherry Mine Disaster of 1909
Back to the 50's Impact on the Illinois Valley
Release Date: 2010
Speaking Engagements and Upcoming Appearances
Speaking Engagement Availability: (Yes)
Bluemer prefers to keep his speaking engagements within a 50 mile radius of Granville, Illinois. He can be contacted via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 815-339-1082.
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.