Pen Name: None
Born: 1906 in Edgerton, Wisconsin
Died: December 21, 1974
After attending the University of Chicago, North worked as a reporter and literary editor for the Chicago Daily News from 1929 to 1943.
Biographical and Professional Information
Sterling North was born Thomas Sterling North. He was best known as the author of the two children's classics, So Dear to My Heart (1947) and Rascal (1963). He was a prolific writer of short stories, poetry, biography and novels. He worked as a reporter and editor at the Chicago Daily News from 1929- 1943. He attended the University of Chicago.
North's book Midnight and Jeremiah was made into the Disney movie So Dear to My Heart in 1949. (The movie garnered an Academy Award nomination for best song: Lavender Blue, sung by Burl Ives).
Rascal received a Newbery Honor in 1964, a Sequoyah Book Award in 1966, and a Young Reader's Choice Award in 1966. It was made into the Disney movie Rascal in 1969.
- Plowing on Sunday, 1934
- Night Outlasts the Whippoorwill, 1936
- The Zipper ABC Book, Rand McNally, 1937
- Seven Against the Years, 1939
- Greased Lightning, Winston, 1940
- Midnight and Jeremiah, Winston, 1943
- So Dear to My Heart, Doubleday, 1947
- The Birthday of Little Jesus, Grosset, 1952
- Son of the Lamp Maker The Story of the Boy Who Knew Jesus, Rand McNally, 1956
- Abe Lincoln, Log Cabin to the White House, 1956
- The First Steamboat on the Mississippi, Houghton, 1962
- Rascal, A Memoir of a Better Era, Dutton, 1963
- Little Rascal, Dutton, 1965
- Raccoons Are the Brightest People, Dutton, 1966
- The Wolfing, 1969
Titles for Purchase and at Your Library
The zipper ABC book
Release Date: 1937
Midnight and Jeremiah,
Release Date: 1943
The birthday of little Jesus
Rascal: A memoir of a better era
Release Date: 1998-04-30
Release Date: 1965-08-05
Raccoons Are the Brightest People
Release Date: 1966-06
Rascal received a Newbery Honor in 1964, a Sequoyah Book Award in 1966, and a Young Reader's Choice Award in 1966.
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.