Pen Name: None
Born: 1944 in Chicago
Died: May 12, 2015
Photo Credit: Saul Lieberman
Lieberman was a Chicago native. He grew up in the Albany Park neighborhood and graduated from Roosevelt High School in 1962. After graduating from college, he taught English at New Trier High School for two years and Evanston High School for 30 years.
Biographical and Professional Information
Syd Lieberman was an internationally acclaimed storyteller and an award-winning teacher and author. He published two books and produced 15 CD's, receiving awards from the American Library Association, Parents' Choice, and Storytelling World. A teacher for over 30 years, Lieberman was awarded the prestigious Golden Apple Award by the Chicago's Golden Apple Foundation for Excellence in Teaching. In 2013, he was given a lifetime achievement award for his work as a storyteller the National Storytelling Network.
- Streets and Alleys: Stories with a Chicago Accent, August House, 1997
- The Wise Shoemaker of Studena, Jewish Publication Society of America, 1994
Titles at Your Library
Streets and Alleys (American Storytelling)
Release Date: 2006-01-10
The Wise Shoemaker of Studena
Release Date: 1994-04
- Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Storytelling Network, 2013
- Joseph the Tailor was selected to be sent to every elementary school in the nation as part of IBM and Good Housekeeping's Tell-Me-a-Tale Celebration.
- Seven Notable Children's Recording awards from the American Library Association
- Three Gold Awards from Storytelling World Magazine
- Two Gold Awards from Parents' Choice
This page can only be edited by Illinois Center for the Book staff, this author or this author's representatives. Please contact us for access.