Individual Author Record
Name: Celia C. PerezPen Name: None Genre: Audience: Young Adult; Children; Born: in Miami, Florida
-- Website -- http://celiacperez.com
-- Celia C. Perez on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=Celia+Perez
Illinois ConnectionPerez lives in Chicago.
Biographical and Professional InformationCelia Perez is a community college librarian. She is a longtime zine-maker. Her zines and writing has been featured in The Horn Book Magazine, Latina, El Andar, Venus Zine, and NPR's Talk of the Nation and Along for the Ride.
- The First Rule of Punk, Viking, 2017
Titles At Your Library
The First Rule of Punk
ISBN: 0425290409 Viking Books for Young Readers. 2017 A 2018 Pura Belpré Author Honor Book
The First Rule of Punk is a wry and heartfelt exploration of friendship, finding your place, and learning to rock out like no one’s watching.
There are no shortcuts to surviving your first day at a new school—you can’t fix it with duct tape like you would your Chuck Taylors. On Day One, twelve-year-old Malú (María Luisa, if you want to annoy her) inadvertently upsets Posada Middle School’s queen bee, violates the school’s dress code with her punk rock look, and disappoints her college-professor mom in the process. Her dad, who now lives a thousand miles away, says things will get better as long as she remembers the first rule of punk: be yourself.
The real Malú loves rock music, skateboarding, zines, and Soyrizo (hold the cilantro, please). And when she assembles a group of like-minded misfits at school and starts a band, Malú finally begins to feel at home. She'll do anything to preserve this, which includes standing up to an anti-punk school administration to fight for her right to express herself!
Black and white illustrations and collage art throughout make The First Rule of Punk a perfect pick for fans of books like Roller Girl and online magazines like Rookie.
AwardsThe First Rule of Punk
- Best Books List, NPR, 2017
- Best Books List, Center for the Study of Multicultural Children's Literature, 2017
- Fanfare List, Horn Book, 2017
- Best of List, School Library Journal, 2017
- Best Middle-Grade Books, Kirkus Reviews, 2017
- Best Books for Kids, New York Public Library, 2017
- 101 Great Books for Kids List, Evanston Public Library, 2017
- Best of the Best Books, Chicago Public Library, 2017
- Best Books List for Young Readers, University of Pennsylvania's Graduate School of Education, 2017
- Middle Grade Fiction Nerdies Award, 2017
- Starred Review, Publishers Weekly, 2017
- Starred Review, Kirkus, 2017
- Starred Review, School Library Journal, 2017
- Indies Introduce Title, ABA, 2017
- Junior Library Guild Selection, 2017