Individual Author Record
Name: Wallace RicePen Name: Genre: Born: 1859 Died: December 15, 1939, Chicago, Illinois
-- Wallace Rice on WorldCat -- http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=wallace+rice
Illinois ConnectionRice was a life-long resident of Chicago.
Biographical and Professional InformationWallace Rice was Chicago author, anthologist and lecturer. He was a graduate of Harvard University and was admitted to the bar in 1884 but soon found he had little interest in the law and started his literary career not long after. He started out as a newspaper reporter and then became both a drama and book critic. He worked for most of the Chicago papers and was a prolific freelance writer at the same time. He was the author, co-author, editor or compiler of more than ninety books and pamphlets. His interests were wide - he wrote pageants for historical occasions, plays and masques, hymns, song lyrics special histories of utilities and hotels. He wrote the histories of the Chicago Stock Exchange in 1923, the People's Gas Light and Coke Company and the Palmer House. He even served as a usage counselor for the ''English Journal''. He also designed the Municipal Flag of Chicago that was adoped in 1917 and the Illinois Centennial flag.He was an ardent writer of verse and a tireless anthologist. His own poetry appeared throughout his lifetime in many anthologies including ''The Oxford Book of American Verse.'' He even edited the anthology,''Infidels and Heretics'' with Clarence Darrow in 1929. Rice was a member of the Illinois State Historical Society, the Chicago Historical Society, the Cliff Dwellers, the Society of Midland Authors, the Stage Guild, the Playwrights Theater and several other Chicago societies.
- The Athlete's Garland; A Collection of Verse of Sport and Pastime, AC McClurg & Co., 1905
- The Little Book Of Bohemia, 1910
- The Wealth of Friendship
- Girls and Gladness A Book of Gayety
- The Humbler Poets A Collection of Newspaper and Periodical Verse 1885 to 1910, 1910
- A Book of American Humorous Verse Being a Collection of Humorous and Witty Verses Composed by the Best Known American Writers
- Under the Stars and Other Songs of the Sea
- Primavera the Masque of Santa Barbara
- The Lincoln Year Book Axioms And Aphorisms From The Great Emancipator, 1907
- Ballads Of Valor And Victory Being Stories In Song From The Annals Of America
- The Lincoln Year Book Axioms and Aphorisms From the Great Emancipator
- Kipling's Poems Plain Tales From The Hills And Others
- Infidels and Heretics an Agnostic's Anthology''