Individual Author Record
Name: Laurent PernotPen Name: None Genre: Non-Fiction Born: Sites:
Illinois ConnectionPernot lives in Chicago.
Biographical and Professional InformationPernot is the executive vice chancellor of the City Colleges of Chicago. He grew up in Valentigney, France and graduated with a BA and MA from the University of Illinois Chicago.
Before the Ivy: The Cubs' Golden Age in Pre-Wrigley Chicago, University of Illinois Press, 2014
Titles At Your Library
Before the Ivy: The Cubs' Golden Age in Pre-Wrigley Chicago
ISBN: 0252080289 University of Illinois Press. 2015
All Cub fans know from heartbreak and curse-toting goats. Fewer know that, prior to moving to the north side in 1916, the team fielded powerhouse nines that regularly claimed the pennant. Before the Ivy offers a grandstand seat to a golden age:
• BEHOLD the 1871 team as it plays for the title in nine different borrowed uniforms after losing everything in the Great Chicago Fire
• ATTEND West Side Grounds at Polk and Wolcott with its barbershop quartet
• MARVEL as superstar Cap Anson hits .399, makes extra cash running a ballpark ice rink, and strikes out as an elected official
• WONDER at experiments with square bats and corked balls, the scandal of Sunday games and pre-game booze-ups, the brazen spitters and park dimensions changed to foil Ty Cobb
• THRILL to the poetic double-play combo of Tinker, Evers, and Chance even as they throw tantrums at umpires and punches at each other
Rich with Hall of Fame personalities and oddball stories, Before the Ivy opens a door to Chicago's own field of dreams and serves as every Cub fan's guide to a time when thoughts of "next year" filled rival teams with dread.