Born: in Hinsdale, Illinois
Pen Name: None Connection to Illinois: Harvey grew up in Downers Grove. He graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and currently resides in Chicago. Biography: Miles Harvey began reporting on Gilbert Bland in 1996 for Outside magazine. He worked for UPI and In These Times. A graduate of the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, he was the recipient of a 2004-2005 Illinois Arts Council Award for prose and a 2007-2008 Knight-Wallace fellowship at the University of Michigan. He teaches creative writing at DePaul University in Chicago.
The Island of Lost Maps
- -- Top Ten Books, USA Today
- -- Top Ten Books, Chicago Sun-Times
- Painter in a Savage Land
- -- Best Book of the Year, Chicago Tribune
- The King of Confidence
- -- New York Times Book Review Editors’ Choice
- -- Longlisted, Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Nonfiction, 2021
- -- Michigan Notable Book, 2020
- -- Best True Crime Book of the Year, CrimeReads, 2020
- -- Best Book of the Year, Booklist, 2020
- -- Best Book of the Month in two categories - History and Biography, Amazon
- -- Most Anticipated Book, Literary Hub, 2020
- -- Best Summer Read, Publishers Weekly
- -- Best Summer Read, Chicago Tribune
- -- Illinois Reads Book Selection, Illinois Reading Council, 2022
|Painter in a savage land :
ISBN: 9781588367099 OCLC: 237025423 Random House, New York : ©2008. From the author of the national bestseller The Island of Lost Maps comes the fascinating story of the first European artist to paint life among the Indians and colonists in the unbelievably harsh and hostile New World. Illustrated.
|The island of lost maps :
ISBN: 9780307766564 OCLC: 698261602 Broadway Books, New York : 2001, ©2000. The Island of Lost Maps tells the story of a curious crime spree: the theft of scores of valuable, centuries-old maps from some of the most prominent research libraries in the United States and Canada. When all was said and done, Gilbert Joseph Bland, Jr., had become the Al Capone of cartography, the most prolific American map thief in history.
|The King of Confidence
ISBN: 0316463590 OCLC: 1117628990 The riveting story of the most infamous American con man you've never heard of: James Strang, self-proclaimed divine king of earth, heaven, and an island in Lake Michigan, until his assassination in 1856.